Indoor Air Quality
Radiant Heating Systems in Chicago, IL
Many homeowners have boilers here in the greater Chicago area. It’s not difficult to see why. Boilers, or hydronic heating systems, send hot water through various pipes and radiators throughout the home to ensure that your living space is comfortable during the winter.
Typically, when people speak about radiant heating systems, they mean hydronic radiant flooring. For new homes, that means installing piping within the concrete slab floor, or just under the floorboards. The result is warm floors all winter long, and heat that radiates up through into every nook and cranny of your living space.
Whether you’re interested in having a new radiant heating system installed, or your existing system needs repair or maintenance, we can assist you. Our NATE-certified technicians are here to take care of you. Contact Elm Heating & Cooling, Inc. today! We’ve been Keeping Chicagoland comfortable since 1953!
Our team offers 24/7 heating & air conditioning services
Quick, Reliable Service
Friendly, Experienced Professionals
All Purpose Repair Services
What’s So Great about Radiant Heat?
You already know exactly what radiant heat is like if you’ve ever stood out in the sun or sat in front of a fireplace or campfire. Thermal energy can move in various ways, but radiant heat is one of the most pleasant ways to heat your home. Why?
- It doesn’t dry the air.
- A furnace or heat pump will heat your indoor air supply directly, which can lead to a severe drop in humidity during the winter months. That can lead to dry skin and nosebleeds, and it may even extend the length of your cold, should you get one.
- It heats objects directly.
- That not only includes the floorboards or concrete floor under which the pipes of your radiant heat system run, but also your feet and other parts of your body, as well as furniture.
- It is energy efficient.
- Hot air rises, but radiant heat does not. That means your comfort will often come at a lower cost if you use a radiant heating system in the home rather than a forced–air distribution system, though that depends on other factors as well.
Signs that You Need Radiant Heating System Repair
It’s critically important that your radiant heating system be in good working condition before winter hits. The best way to do is by having your boiler routinely maintained on an annual basis every autumn. That’s a service we can provide.
Still, there are some things that only a repair service call will fix. Here are some things to look out for:
- Hot and cold spots.
- If you notice that one part of your floor is very cold while others are warm, then there could be a leak or air in one of the lines. It’s best to have this looked at immediately.
- In a hydronic heating system, one of the most common issues is leaks, either at the boiler itself, the manifold, or in one of the lines. This can happen for various reasons, be it corrosion or physical damage, but you’ll want to get it checked out sooner than later to avoid water damage.
Get in touch with our professionals today so that we can address your radiant heating repair needs in Chicago, IL.